Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I have depression

I have depression.

Seven years.
Life interrupted.

Intelligent, witty, athletic.
witless
Master degrees #1 and #2.
useless
Career of helping others
helpless
'Till death do us part
spouse-less
House, two cars, dog
yard-less

Joy
joyless

Humor
humorless

Hope
hopeless

I am not depressed
I have depression.

I have depression.

1 comment:

laughingalligators said...

I really like your poem and how you share your depression to the public. I was wondering how and when did you know that you had depression? Was it hard to deal with at first or are you still struggling with it? Do you feel the same way you do today and when you were a teen? You see I am writing a blog for my english class and it deals with depression. It's about a girl who has depression and she's barely 15 and her parents just died. If you have any comments or suggestions to help, they would be most appreciated. Thank you.



.