Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, April 12, 2008

of mood, running, and that time of the month

The last dip was quite awhile ago, maybe even more than one month ago by now. Ahhh...yes, that's right. I believe it was two months ago, exactly two months ago. How do I know? Because the last dip descended for the same reason this dip has dropped in. (Guys, cover your ears!) It's my period! How could I forget? Miss Progesterone Hormone is back in town! Now it all makes sense. That damn Progesterone!
Let's recap the havoc she and the rest of her relations have so far wrought. After two months of bliss, realizing that bliss for me--a person with chronic depression--is of course a very relative term, I have suffered one severe, bed-confining, 20-hour migraine, a precipitous drop in my mood, 3 routine slow runs in what felt like concrete shoes, and two missed runs due to fatigue and energy loss. Tough week, but I've made it despite the Hormone Clan's unwelcome return.
It all makes sense. The fatigue, mood dive, lack of energy, headache, heaviness, irritability, and frustration always coincide with Progesterone's visit. It was nice of her to mellow-out on her last visit, but it seems the Hormone Clan is back to their old loud, raucous, thieving routine. If I can't keep her and the rest of that family from returning every month, I'm going to have to get Lo-Jack protection for my serotonin.

No comments:



.