Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Recovering...

Yesterday, Puck and I ran in one of our favorite MN State Parks. It is beautiful! Didn't encounter another soul during our seven mile run through the tall trees, under the bright sun, on the often muddy trails. The park is a sentimental favorite for too many reasons to get into. There are a lot of memories there--good memories that made me a bit sad to remember, but in a good, okay way--if that makes any sense! I love running the rolling hills there. The deciduous trees are so tall it allows me to let Puck run free and still keep him in sight. I love watching him bound around. He is at his happiest out there. The trip to the park was my reward for the difficult trip to my family member's home. By the end of my run, I was tired, and muddy, and filled with fresh air. I'm so glad I went. It was a good decision, to go, and it reminds me I need to go there more often.
Today, I spoke for a small college class about my journey with depression. I enjoy speaking. I have a basic routine, but I never do the same presentation twice. I felt a little off today, but the feedback was quite good. There are so many things to focus on with this illness, it's hard to narrow it into one cohesive story sometimes. I like to hammer on the stigma, the difference between depression and feeling depressed, and the fact that I have a biological, treatable brain disorder. Today, I also chatted about loss, isolation, relationships, "consumers"(ugh!), medication, ECT, finances, and I'm sure a few other topics. I do love the opportunity to educate.
I also ran 8 miles today! Yippee! That was cool. Ran 7, with hills, yesterday and 8 today, I'm pretty happy with that. So a decent day. Always more to do, but I am trying to stay in the moment and be okay with what I've already done. Hope all of you may do the same!

3 comments:

BPD in OKC said...

Man I can't believe you can run 8 miles. That's so awesome! I am so out of shape that I couldn't even go one mile. You should be very proud of yourself for having the ability to do that.

etta said...

Thanks! It is nice to be getting the running back. But remember, bpd, when I started I couldn't run a mile either. That's the beautiful thing about running--anyone can do it! If you'd like to start, go for a walk around the block. I'll be here cheering for you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.


.