Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Way to Go, Dorothy Hamill!

After pondering the potential negative backlash from others last night, I figured I should focus on how I feel--ecstatic, grateful, hopeful, thrilled, congratulatory--about Dorothy Hamill revealing her life-long battle with depression.

WAY TO GO, DOROTHY!! Thank you so much for speaking out, sharing your darkness, and revealing your debilitating struggle, despite all evidence to the contrary, with depression and suicidal ideation. The fact that you are a successful, recognizable, "smiley sweetheart" suggests your message may reach many whom otherwise would not have heard. Perhaps we'll even get a few, "Wow. Dorothy Hamill? Well, if it can happen to her, I guess it can happen to anyone," light-bulb moments within the general populace. I am so sorry you are one of us, Dorothy Hamill, and yet I am so grateful you are one of us who is willing to share! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Your message of despair, struggle and healing will likely change, possibly save, at least one life. And for that, you should be incredibly proud! Congratulations.

1 comment:

beartwinsmom said...

Wow. I didn't know that. I remember when I was a kid I had my hair cut just like hers because I idolized her so much. Thanks for posting this.



.