Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Every Minute

There is a new website in our mental health world which has the potential to do big, big things. It is called everyminute.org. Here is a sample of their mission. It is taken directly off their home page where there is also a declaration you can sign to support mental illness research.

Every minute, a suicide is attempted.
Today 1,500 Americans will attempt to take their own lives(
1). Most will have mental health or addiction issues. Many will have both(2). One out of four adults is affected by a mental health disorder(3). Odds are that most of us have friends or family becoming more desperate with every tick of the clock. There is a way to stop the ticking. Research. We can defeat mental illness by employing the scientific mind to find individual treatment plans. But the funding is inadequate for an issue that affects every one of us, the 57 million(4) directly or the rest of us through
our family and friends. We must declare our concern. Together, we can stop the clock.


Please check out this new site and pass it on if it suits you. Thanks!

1 comment:

Marissa Miller said...

Jace from the site commented on my blog. It REALLY is a great site considering my history with suicide attempts. It really speaks to me.

Thanks for highlighting it.



.