Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, May 16, 2008

I saw you today.

I saw you today, and Marissa you were looking fine! Stretching out those quads along the path prior to your run, it was nice of you to wave and say hi. I saw you today, PJ or Graybeard or whatever it is you are calling yourself today. I've seen you out a lot over the past few weeks! I figured you were a visitor. I heard the twang in your voice when you asked, "Which one is the Mayo Building?" Hope you're enjoying our smog-free, humidity-free bike paths. Keep walking like that, and you'll need to trade those 34's for a pair of 30's! I saw you today, beartwinsmom, playing with those boys. Must have been a school function, huh? There were a lot of kids out in that park! Looked like you were enjoying the moment, though! I envy you. Didn't I see you at a soccer game the other night, too? I saw you today, Shiv. I'm always a little leery of a bunch of young dudes hanging together, but then you waved hello. Thanks. What were you doing? Just soaking up some sun? It was a beautiful day to be outside. Hope you enjoyed it! I saw you today, BPD. Good for you for getting out and moving around. I know that isn't always easy, so I really felt glad to see you across the road. Keep it up! I saw you today, untreatable. You probably missed me, as you were coming out of the busy government center at the time. I hope you didn't have to spend too much time inside today. Maybe you were just getting your license renewed? We'll have to have lunch when you've got the time. I saw you today.
...and you, and you, and you...


I realized on my run today that I do see you guys all over the place. Since I only know you through cyberspace, I can create your live avatar in whatever physical form embodies your attributes--the attributes I associate with you. Something about the way that woman looked and waved hello today made me think of Marissa! Heck, it could have been Marissa! So, to me, *poof* I just ran past Marissa. Once I realized what I had been unconsciously doing (for days!) it actually got quite fun! From now on I'll be looking for all of you when I am out! Neat.

6 comments:

crackedheadblog said...

flattery will get you everywhere.

maybe one day you can venture down here for the azalea trail whatever K. i suspect you'll be stunned such a provincial place as this exists on the mainland.

"it ain't much but it's home."

etta said...

Sounds great, when is the azalea trail whatever K? And please, I know the gulf coast of AL is absolutely beautiful! Have friends who timeshare down there every year. One day, me too.
The last 2-3 days here in the northland are exactly why we suffer through the cold winters--for these 2-3 days! HA! Maybe we'll get lucky this year and have four!
Take care-

Michelle (The Beartwinsmom) said...

This brought a huge smile to my face. I admit I do the same thing, too. It helps me connect to my friends out here in the blogosphere.

Shiv said...

loved this post!
Hope the me you see is nice, and gives ya a big hug :)
~shiv

Untreatable said...

Sorry I did not wave. As for the licensing thing I am Canadian so no license is required. Take care

Marissa Miller said...

That is COOL. You freaked me out for second. lol. I was wondering how you were able to spot me jogging out in the park the other day! LOL!

P.S. I saw a part of the Boston Marathon and thought of you. :)



.