Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Opposite to Emotion

Often when feeling low, I look for humorous things to read, watch or listen to. It's a very useful skill called Opposite to Emotion Action which I learned in Dialectical Behavior Therapy. Ironically, it was this skill that led me to sign up for the half-marathon I ran this past weekend. And if Puck hadn't ruptured his ACL, you likely would have already read an entire post about this skill, post half-marathon, and in recognition of the end of Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness Month, which I'd been planning to write.
I didn't go out looking for humor tonight, but boy did I find it!! Thanks to http://adsquefty.com/for highlighting this YouTube video on his blog, which is where I found it and now share it with you! It's called, An Engineer's Guide to Cats.
ENJOY!

3 comments:

Asdquefty said...

Thanks for the mention, your blog is really nice. It's good to see that you've made some big strides out of what life has handed you. Take care.

Mary said...

Hi Etta, I watched the video in hopes that it would make me laugh, but I didnt think if was funny at all. I am at rock bottom right now,and have no way of getting out...nippercat

etta said...

mary-
I am sorry to hear that. please seek help in your local community. ask your husband to bring you to the emergency room for evaluation if you are feeling there is no way out. there is. hang on.
etta



.