Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, May 30, 2008

Post-op Day One


Puck is home. He seems to be in a lot of pain. I'm exhausted, and I have yet to run today! I've already missed two days this week, and it's getting desperately close to three if I don't liven-up pretty quick! But I think Puck's being in pain makes me exhausted! Is that possible?
He's got some pain meds, an anti-inflammatory, and an antibiotic, but he's had everything he can have today, and he still hurts. I hate it! He's quite pathetic, actually, and I mean that in the most loving way possible!
I have to do passive range of motion and massage to his knee twice per day. He's not very fond of me touching his leg, but he trusts I won't hurt him and allows me to do it, which is nice. This is definitely a time where I feel more of a two-way bond with him. He's counting on me to keep him safe and comfortable. When he's well, he'd go with pretty much anyone without looking back!

I did observe the surgery yesterday, and as soon as the vet clinic locates their camera's cable, I will download pictures for all to see. It was really interesting, and I was less anxious being in the room with him where I could see he was still breathing! Seeing surgery has also helped me already with his rehab. Since I know exactly where and how much was cut, poked, stretched, etc...I have a much better feel for where to massage and how much pressure I can apply externally. So I am very glad I decided to observe.

I think these first few weeks are going to be very long. Total recovery time is going to be 8 weeks, most likely. But my boy is a trooper. I'm glad he's home. I know he'll get through this. The jury has yet to decide if I'll make it or not...

4 comments:

Michelle (The Beartwinsmom) said...

We'll be cheering you on. Surgery recovery is tough, but you're tougher, Etta. :-)

HUGS for you, dear.

Clueless said...

Oh, I tried to donate, but I'm a little cautious as I don't know you at all and I know paypal sends all sorts of personal information. I am a dog lover and Puck is just too cute and I can't image how hard it is for you to figure out the money situation.

I also could not figure out how to leave a comment on your depression article. I love them and your blog.

I got on my soap box and wrote an post on Major Depressive Disorder. This is the link(http://clinicallyclueless.blogspot.com/2008/05/major-depressive-disorderit-is-painful.html)in case you want to look.

I also feel like over the last five years that someone took my brain and emptied the contents and put everthing back in and said now try to make sense of it all. For the last, 5 years my life has completely changed due to depression. Now, I'm 42 and don't even know if I'm going back to the career I work in for 21 years. Everything including me is different. By the way it is nice to find someone around my age.

Thanks for blogging

Bradley said...

Get well wishes for Puck. I know how much love a dog can bring. And yes it is possible for Puck's pain to leave you exhausted. Very likely actually.

etta said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. Clueless, welcome to my blog. If it eases your mind, and you are still interested in donating, I only see the donator's name, city and email address--that's all, nothing else. I understand your caution.
Puck is still hurting, but I got my run in with the help of a friend today, and the sun is shining!
Peace-
etta



.