Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, May 9, 2008

A professional blogger?

As a person with a chronic, life-altering and disabling illness, my secondary goal when I created this educational, supportive blog was to hopefully also develop a home-based revenue source. Being unable to perform my chosen profession on a regular, even part-time basis--despite still paying off the remaining $20,000+ of my original $60,000+ in student loans--I wanted to develop a home-based vocation. Seven years of disability, food shelves, sacrifices and loss have taught me I need a job that I can work vigorously when I feel well, and one that will provide residual income when my symptoms impede my function.
Additionally, I have been writing since early junior high. Growing up in a f'ed up family and suffering through teenage depression/suicidality, writing has always been my outlet. In junior high, I wanted to be a journalist. I took every writing class I could throughout high school and college. I've always wanted to write a book. The combination of these circumstances, likes, dislikes, wants and needs culminated in the creation of this blog.
Why am I telling you all of this? Because a couple of weeks ago, this blog led to the realization of some of these dreams and a start on my secondary goal. As a result of this blog, I was invited to join an up-and-coming recovery website called The Second Road. As of today, I am a professional blogger over at thesecondroad.org. I will be posting over there 2-3 times per week. I will still be posting here as close to daily as possible. I hope you will all take a moment to check out The Second Road, especially if you have any interest in addiction and recovery.

I never dreamed I would get an opportunity like this, especially this soon. I am humbled and grateful. (and scared, of course!) Thank you, all of you who regularly visit and especially those of you who comment here. I appreciate your support and feedback more than you will ever know!

4 comments:

Michelle (The Beartwinsmom) said...

OMGosh, Etta, this is SO COOL!!!! What an AWESOME opportunity for you! I am so incredibly excited for you! You deserve this- you are going to be in the company of some very highly acclaimed authors (I checked out the blogger list- one of them actually co-authored with Kurt Vonnegut... I am so incredibly jealous).

High fives and three cheers for you!!

etta said...

Thank you so much Michelle! You are sooooo nice! I appreciate your continued support very much. Thank you. Keep up the good work over at beartwinsmom!
etta

Michelle (The Beartwinsmom) said...

Aw, shucks. What I'm doing is nothing compared to what you are. You are going to have the POWER to change the world with your words. I am so incredibly proud of you, and proud to know you. Wish we lived closer so we could share a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee. :-)

Marissa Miller said...

Congratulations and good luck!



.