Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, May 5, 2008

Week Eight Round-Up

Hard to believe it's been 8 full weeks already! As I stated in the post about my first race, which was Saturday, I am definitely feeling stronger. I think the hill work has made a big difference in my leg strength. I hate hills, so I usually skimp on hill work, but I've followed the plan this time. My race time was still slow, for me, and that was a bit disappointing. But my weight and my heart-rate are also still quite high. One is the side effect of cookie dough and ice cream, the other must be a medication side effect, for I have no other ideas or explanations. Frustrating. Here is the summary of week eight of The Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon Training Program.

Ran: 5 days
Miles: 35.2
Long Run: 11.1 miles (9.3 of those miles were racing miles)
Speed: 15K race
Hills: 5 x 60 seconds each (Tuesday) and 4 x 88 seconds each (Wednesday)
Swam: 1/2 mile +
Found Money: $0.46

A pretty good week. Took an extra day off and just swam prior to the race, so mileage could have been higher. I'd like to hit at least 40 miles this week. Sounds like a goal...

Have a safe, sunny week everyone!

2 comments:

Michelle (the beartwinsmom) said...

Go, Etta, go!!! Can you hear me cheering you on? :-)

Hugs, Michelle

Shiv said...

Your determination and hard work is impressive! Keep it up, we're all here cheering you on (albeit digitally) :)
~Shiv



.