Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, May 26, 2008

Week Eleven Round-Up

What a strange week. Ran great and easy Tuesday and Wednesday, but then attacked by fatigue mid-run on Thursday, which reduced me to a long, light-headed walk home. Fretting about miles after incapacitating fatigue and no run on Friday. Volunteered at a kids race Saturday and decided to sign up for the Sunday half-marathon because I knew there was no other way I would get my scheduled 12-miler done. Expected nothing. Planned to use it as a glorified training run, and it was; but I was able to race by the end! Felt good. Recovered well. Seem to be right where I need to be to achieve my goal time in a few weeks.
But now, incapacitated again... my dog, my boy, my buddy...blew-out his ACL (knee) today, and I am blaming myself. I am so, so sad. And I don't feel like doing anything. But, I need to get back on the roads tomorrow--solo...
Here is the summary of my strange Week Eleven of the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon Training Program:

Week Eleven: May 19-25, 2008
Ran: 5 days
Miles: 37.4
Long Run: 13.1 miles (race)
Speed: 10 x 1:00 intervals hard with 1:00 recovery
Swam: 1/2 mile+
Found Money: $0.07

Here's to a week of joyful miles, lighter legs, and sunny days!
And if you are so inclined, please say a prayer for Puck, my dog. Hopefully, he'll be able to have surgery tomorrow. Come to think of it, say one for me, too, please...
Thanks.

4 comments:

deepblue said...

My husband is training for the Wahsatch Steeplechase right now - a 17 mile mountain run. Runners amaze me. And so I enjoy hearing about your training. Hope you have a better week - and I will keep your dog in my prayers.

Michelle (The Beartwinsmom) said...

Sending prayers for you and Puck!

I thought of you when I was shopping this weekend. I was at Dick's Sporting Goods and there was one of those Life is Good tank tops. It had a pair of running shoes on the front and the saying was "Gotta Run". If I knew your size and where you lived, you would be expecting a package. ;-)

Shiv said...

I'm not religious, but I'm sending you my best "cosmic vibes" :)

~Shiv
P.S. You've been tagged, check my most recent post "Flower Smellers Award" :)

la said...

Good luck to you and Puck xx



.