Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Unlearning and Learning

Selfish, self-centered, and egotistical are terms often used to describe alcoholics. But these terms almost arrested my early recovery in its tracks. These are derogatory, ill-fitting, nausea-producing terms...
continued...

2 comments:

Eli said...

LaRee,

In the time-span of a mere inning or two it was immediately apparent that the person who needed correction was not the talented middle-school aged pitcher on the mound battling to get her team a win, but rather it was the father who didn't recognize the gift of a little girl who wanted nothing more than to make him proud. We all could see your strength, talent and determination. It's too bad your father didn't.

etta said...

Thank you, Eli-
That's one of the kindest things anyone has ever said to me.



.