Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, August 31, 2008

busy, busy, busy

Training for a marathon takes a ton of time. A ton of time... Between running, working, meetings, and my feeble attempt at a social life, this blog has taken a back seat for a few days. The good news is I feel better than I did in the middle of last week. The bad news--I feel terrible about not taking time to update this blog. I apologize.

Today, I ran 16 miles. That brought my weekly total into the low 40's. It was tough to fit the run in, as we had a regional AA get-together this weekend. It began Friday night and ended this afternoon. The get-together was amazing. Speakers from all over the world told their stories. Wow. Amazing. But back to training. Like I said, training for a marathon takes a ton of time.

Thinking about it after the fact, I realized that running 16 miles took up at least 7 hours today. SEVEN! No, I am not that slow. The running portion, which was by far the toughest, only took between 2.5 and 3 hours. However, running long isn't that simple. By the time I prepared, ran, cooled down, showered, stretched, ate, and then napped, at least seven hours had passed! That's an entire day! I had never thought about that before. Phew... no wonder training for a marathon takes so much time!

More soon...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the hard work!!

call me please!! sm

DocKC/DOCintheBiz said...

Hi Etta! I saw your blog as I was researching for mental health blogs similar to what I write.

I think it is amazing how you share so much of yourself and your experiences with the world. Brava to you!

Would you please consider adding your blog to the directory (for free) at http://www.GLCzone.com?
I believe you’ll get great traffic and exposure there, plus get your information to many more people who would love to read and learn from it. It’s always great to know that you’re not alone!

Thanks for your time and hope to see you at http://www.GLCzone.com!



.