Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, August 8, 2008

Knocked Flat!

As you know from recent posts, my depression has sucked the life out of me lately. Specifically, my thoughts have been disorganized, obsessive, destructive, and confused. I've "lost time" apparently--meaning I've forgotten or just not registered some of the more difficult moments over the past couple days. I've semi-functioned, but something had to be done about my brain! My psychiatrist and I decided today to try a prn of a med that had previously been helpful when my thinking had become so troublesome. I took a tiny dose mid-morning, and it definitely made an impact--I couldn't get out of bed the rest of the day!! It knocked me out cold for over six hours! I slept, and slept, and slept. I attempted to get up twice, but it was futile, so I slept some more. I do feel better. My brain feels a bit more like my own. I guess that was one way to get it to quiet down--Knock it out!! So much for any plans I had for today...but, like I said, I do feel better. Let's hope tomorrow continues more of the same, but maybe with less sleep.

3 comments:

Bradley said...

It may have knocked you flat but I'm glad to see the cloud is starting to lift. I hope it continues.

Michelle (The Beartwinsmom) said...

Have you been sleeping enough? I know that's one HUGE issue that always sends me into the darkness.

Maybe that's why I'm in tears most of today and been in bed most of the day, too.

UGH. Why, oh, why can't someone figure how to fix us?

Denise said...

That's interesting... my doctor did the same thing for me the last hole I fell into that landed me in the psych ward for a week. Sleep, sweet, sleep. I'm still taking that med... but at nighttime now. It is heavenly... I sleep 9 to 11 hrs. a night...

I'm soooo glad the fog is lifting for you.



.