Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Unpredictability of marathon strikes Kastor down!

The marathon is alluring, frightening, and dramatic. Training for and finishing a marathon is exhausting and exhilarating. The distance is unique. The possibility of finishing--a mystery right up to the end. Perhaps that's what makes it so alluring. It is entirely unpredictable. The distance creates the unpredictability.

No matter how fit you are, no matter how well you've trained, and no matter how fast you can run, the marathon's 26.2 miles will keep you guessing. Whether it happens at two miles or 22 miles, months, even years, of sweat and sacrifice may go down in flames at any point along the marathon's lengthy path. That is apparently what happened to the USA's top hope, Deena Kastor, in the Women's Olympic Marathon today.

Deena Kastor dropped out of the marathon around the 5K mark after apparently suffering a foot injury. She stopped, dropped to a knee, and after rubbing her foot attempted to walk it off, but to no avail. I cannot imagine how disappointed and frustrated she must be. It seems she's been looking toward this race since placing 3rd in Athens four years ago. After watching her performance at the Olympic Trials in April, she looked unbeatable. I can't imagine losing a dream this large in the blink of an eye. Damn.

So, so sorry, Deena. Get well soon!

No comments:



.