Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven years ago today, 09/11/01

I had just arisen. It was a beautiful, fall, Tuesday morning. As a full-time PT who worked four ten hour shifts, I always looked forward to my Tuesday's off. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, as I opened the back door to allow Puck to escape. Wandering sleepily back into the kitchen, I clicked on the counter top TV. I had just straightened up after fetching Puck's rations from a bottom cabinet when something surreal flashed before my eyes. "What the," I asked aloud? I turned up the volume. The Good Morning America hosts--apparently I hadn't taken the time to flip to SportsCenter yet--were similarly dumbfounded. I stood there frozen, Puck's food in hand, as we all tried to figure out what we'd witnessed. They, horrified in a New York studio, and me, horrified in a small Midwestern kitchen, hungry dog yipping at the door; we all waited and wondered. It was 8:02 AM central time.

The replay came, and it was all too clear. A plane had just flown directly into the south tower of the World Trade Center, live, on national television. Horrifying scenes of Columbine, which also occurred on a Tuesday, flashed through my brain. Sirens, screams, gasps, and silence followed--TV hosts silent, without words. Tears filled my eyes. I couldn't leave the TV. There I was in my bright, sunny, serene kitchen holding my dog's food in my hands. It was a beautiful, fall day, and I was witnessing over 2000 people from 80 countries dying right before my eyes. It is a moment I will never forget.

Today, I am flying my American flag in honor and remembrance of the tens of thousands of lives needlessly shattered by hate. Join me. Pray for compassion. Pray for tolerance. Pray for peace.

No comments:



.