Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, September 5, 2008

Your comments keep me going!

Thank You!!!

I want to take this moment to thank ALL of you who have ever commented on this blog. If you do not write a blog, you may not realize how nice it is to get a comment! Lately, I've been struggling with motivation. I've been questioning my purpose. It's classic depression crap, but that doesn't make it less bothersome or real. Your comments help me cope with the crap.

Submitting a comment lets me know I've touched someone outside my miserable self. When you comment, I learn a bit about "you," and what you need, want, or appreciate. Comments let me know that I've connected with you, and for that instant my writing fulfilled the intended purpose. Maybe something I wrote made a small difference in your day--that's always rewarding to hear. Maybe a post helped you think about something in a little different way--positive or negatively--and that, too, is satisfying. Maybe something you read helped begin a discussion with others in the real world. That's very cool.

Depression is such a silent illness, maybe reading my blog is the only time you "talk" about it. I always hope I've caught at least one person like that. I want to offer support and relief. I want readers to know, "You are not alone." And when you submit a comment, you also tell me I am not alone. Your comments help me because my depression is isolating. It is often a silent, solitary illness for me, too.

Your comments keep me going when I want to stop. They keep me connected when I think I want to be alone. They instigate a smile, a laugh, or a bright moment in my day. I appreciate your opinions, your feedback, and your experience. Your comments support me, and I appreciate them more than I can express.

So, thank you! Thank you for taking a moment to read my pondering. Thank you for expressing your point of view. Thank you for sharing your experience, strength and hope with me and all the other readers here. Thank you.
Thank you.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Comments really are the best part of blogging, knowing that there are people out there reading who get it or at the very least care.

I always read here, but don't always comment (sometimes my brain isn't feeling very creative). I've been trying to comment more often on blogs I read, to be more of a participant when possible.

Hope you have an energy-filled weekend and that the marathon training goes well. It's a big undertaking, and I believe you are up for it.

Maia said...

Well in that case I will de-lurk to comment! I too really enjoy getting comments on my blogs, but I read so many that often I just don't click through to comment. I have really benefited from reading your writing over the past 6 months and wanted to let you know that. Take care,
Maia

Bradley said...

Comments are great, they really do let you know that you aren't alone in the world and that you've sparked an interest in someone. I don't comment as much as I'd like and it's good to remind me that others are the same so I don't get too frustrated when I don't have a lot of comments.

etta said...

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and feedback. I also do not get to comment enough and often end up a lurker, too. Nature of the beast, I guess. I need time to write and read so comments often take a back seat. I'm glad you all feel the same way about comments. I really wasn't expecting them to be so satisfying, but once I wrote it down, it made perfect sense. I appreciate you reading my humble ramblings, opinions, and attempts at humor. Carry on!

Running Hoosier said...

I find myself checking my blog several times after posting a new post to see if anyone out there has heard me, or if I am just rambling into an empty web.
Yes, comments are nice, and I myself do not leave them enough.

Etta, I do appreciate your blog and topic. I have it, but do not discuss it. So it is good to find somwhere that I can if I feel the need.

Robert

etta said...

Welcome, Robert!
It is nice to hear from you. I'm going to check out your blog, too.
Glad you found me. Glad reading about my depression helps you deal with yours. Keep running!
etta

Marissa Miller said...

:) I shouldn't be such a comments junkie either but I am. I'm becoming less dependent on it these days since my blogging has decreased some but I've heard in recent days how my posts have helped people and it's really touching to know that I've been able to help people through this medium.

Of course, I'll never run 20 miles but it certainly inspires me to finally hit a 5K!

Claude said...

Dear Etta,
I'm a runner (registered for the Chicago Marathon in October) and I think I'm having depression. Lately, I'm tired, overwhelmed, empty, searching for purpose and having chest pain by anxiety. It's manageable, but I don't want this cold to turn into pneumonia (should I view it like that??).
By searching for some answers, I found your blog and I must confess that I'm addicted to it (going from the beginning in January 2008 until now). With your writing, i understand more, I can relate to your feelings and I can put it in context to what I'm going through.
Thanks for your blog. It helps me a lot. I will consult soon, I promise.
Sincerely,
Claude.



.