Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's Official--I'm Employed

As you know, I made a decision a couple weeks ago to look for a regularly scheduled, part-time, physical therapist position, otherwise known as "a JOB." While I've been working as an on-call PT for several years, I have not felt well enough to resume a regularly scheduled job until recently. (Of course, recently I've also not been doing so hot, but I'm sure some of those symptoms were triggered by this decision and the risk it entailed.) Well, last week, I was hired. As of December 1, 2008, I will be gainfully employed and eligible to drop disability! Hooray!

This is a big deal. I've come full circle in exactly eight years. My illness began in November, 2000, leading me quickly to disability. Hopefully November of 2008 will be the beginning of the end of the disability portion of this saga. I don't expect the illness to go away. I'm hoping to live with it at a higher level than I've been able to these past eight years. In the future, I hope my story will include November, 2008, as the time when fuller functioning returned. I guess I'll have to wait to see if that will be the case.

6 comments:

Running Through Time said...

Congratulations on your employment.

Untreatableonline said...

Congrats that is a major step in recovery. Hope everything works out well

Bradley said...

Huge step, Etta. Congratulations on getting the new job. Be proud of yourself for taking that leap and looking for one.

etta said...

Thank you all for your support! Appreciate it so much!

Jackal said...

Congratulations !

Michelle (The Beartwinsmom) said...

Congrats, sweetheart! I am so proud of you! How's Puck doing?



.