Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, December 1, 2008

A Controversy I created??

Phew! I unintentionally started a heated discussion on the other blog for which I write. Check out this post over at The Second Road, including all of the comments, and then please, please come back here and weigh-in. Why? Because I want to hear what readers of a primarily mental health blog think. I'm curious what some other people think. I have no desire to be "proven" right or wrong, so please keep your comments non-judgmental. No attacking others' opinions or experiences, please. Like I said, I'm just curious, and if you would be so kind as to add to the discussion, I'd appreciate it very much.

6 comments:

Untreatableonline said...

I guess I can see the argument from both sides of the fence. To me the important thing is that even though people are disagreeing at least they are actually talking about the issue at hand and not trying to sweep it under the rug

etta said...

Thanks, Untreatable.
I certainly understood what the other side was trying to convey as well. I think "Mama" summed up the whole conversation nicely, don't you?
I'm wondering...did you have a reaction to the original post--positive or negative?
Thanks for your input.

Bradley said...

I didn't have a negative reaction to the original post at all. I like being crazy, I like saying that I was placed in the looney bin. I think the use of such words makes it easier for me and lessons the stigma of such words.

etta said...

Thanks, Bradley!
Very interesting...

thestranger said...

That post did get some strong reaction. I can see how people may get offended by these words, and how it might add to the stigmas associated with mental illness. Personally though, I'm not offended by the words used and often use them to describe myself and my life.

However, I think that sticking with and supporting someone when they are moving forward through these things takes a lot of strength and bravery. That's hard to do and requires lots of sacrifices. From where I sit that seems like a sign of much compassion, and not a lack of it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Etta,

Good discussion at that other site...
Important points brought out. I think the stigma surrounding mood disorders is terribly painful to many of us... and we all have different levels of tolerance for certain words.

I did think the discussion you started was quite good- I thought your point was valid.

The stigma surrounding mental illnesses/mood disorders is extreme. I found that out when I had a major depressive episode last year. Luckily I could confide in a few poeple who have been there... otherwise I am sure I'd feel isolated.

Words are powerful.



.