Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Thoughts for us...

I'm thinking this morning of us.
mentally ill,
like me.

Mental illness.
a unique affliction,
dreaded
difficult
debilitating.

stereotyped
scary
stigmatizing.

No Hallmark or flowers.
No visitors or gifts.
No casserole or hotdish!

Are you the black-sheep
in your family, too?
Are the whispers you hear
always about you?

Our invisible pain
more painful still,
as nobody asks,
Hey, how are you?

Please
Allow me.
How are you?
How are you?


On this day of blessings, may each of you know peace, grace, and serenity.
For this, I will pray.
Merry Christmas, Everyone.

3 comments:

Laine said...

Well thank you for that great bit of kindness and compassion. I needed it today. Peace, grace and serenity back to you too.

Laine.

Jackal said...

{{{ hugs }}}

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you for that prayer. Nothing else anyone could offer me could feel as good as that prayer.

"Alexa" -- p.s. I have trouble registering for Google. Sorry I'm "anonymous" for now.



.