Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, January 30, 2009

A different kind of birthday

Today.

Twenty-four years ago
today.

it was the end.
and I was so, so relieved.

I can still feel that
relief.



Today.

Twenty-four years ago
today.

I didn't end.
and yet, I was so relieved.

I can still feel that
relief
too.


Happy
re-birth-day
to
me



...if you consider suicide an option
I get it.
please, call someone.
anyone.
now.

4 comments:

andrew said...

My thoughts are with you.

You undertand yourself in a way many do not.

www.strayblackdog.co.uk

Fram said...

May this day be good to you and for you, etta.

Krissie said...

That was really pretty, just so you know :)

Cat said...

I am glad you are here today to tell your story and spread awareness.



.