Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

One year is upon me.

I began this blog one year ago, January 8, 2008. At the time, I didn't know a thing about blogging. I didn't have a clue how to create, organize, or "program" a blog. I knew nothing about attaching files, creating links, downloading videos, posting pictures, defining keywords, or understanding statistics. Readers, followers, feeds and subscribers were all foreign concepts. I am somewhat amazed to be here, now, 365 days later.

While I knew little about blogging, I did have a fairly clear idea of my motives one year ago. I've been reflecting on those motives the past couple days. I created this blog out of my passion to educate others about depression and mental illness. I hoped to connect with others who ran, trained, and raced despite suffering chronic mental illness. I wanted to enlighten "the world" about the inadequate healthcare coverage, nonexistent job security, and tremendous financial struggles faced by those with mental illness. I planned to highlight stigma and discrimination.

Over time, I discovered my desire to focus on recovery from, rather than wallowing in, these difficulties. Slowly, I attempted to incorporate an attitude of gratitude and tried to focus more on coping, solutions, and support. Depression sucks, but it doesn't mean our lives must suck all the time. The only reason I am still alive today is because I've learned to cope with this shitty illness! I hope this blog has helped at least a couple of you, too.

I'm proud to be writing here one year later. I'm pleased a few of you have found me, commented, subscribed, and hopefully found something useful in my words. I always enjoy hearing from you, and your comments have supported me more than you will ever know.

I am not an expert on depression, mental illness or recovery, but I am an expert on MY mental illness and recovery--most of the time! If you discovered something in my experience which resonated with you, helped or enlightened you; I couldn't ask for more than that. I thank you all for sticking with me throughout 2008. I'll be here tomorrow, and I hope you will be, too.

4 comments:

Running Through Time said...

Congratulations on another year of blogging! I truly enjoy your insight into depression and mental illness. Thank you for sharing with us.

Melissa

etta said...

thanks, Melissa!
appreciate your comments.

Tiptoe said...

I'm new to your blog. Found my way here a few weeks ago through psychcentral newsletter.

Anyway, it's very cool you write about mental illness and running.

This year was my first spin at competitive racing and marathoning. I was successful and plan to do a few this year. I've also suffered from several mental illnesses for many years. They can be debilitating, but there is hope too.

Continue on the fight. I'll check back here more often. :-)

Tallulah said...

I am new here, just found your blog via another one and am bookmarking it. I've struggled with depression-related problems for many years. Can relate to everything I've seen you blog about so far.

Thanks for your words, I can relate so much to what I have read so far!

T.



.