Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What if we said YES to everything?

She asked us, “What if you said YES to everything? What if, instead of taking yourself out by saying, ‘I can’t,’ you kept yourself connected by saying, ‘I can, or at least I’ll try?’” We were in the midst of a very difficult balancing pose at the time. Our forever hopeful, helpful, and happy yoga instructor was coolly pacing about the room of sixty sweaty, breathy bodies. She was encouraging, cajoling, and inquiring as she passed. “What if you said yes to everything?” And I thought, “Hmmmm…what if?”

What if I said yes to everything? What would happen? Or as our yogi-extraordinaire inquired, “What is the worst that could happen?” What, indeed…

If I said yes to everything, I would try more and fret less. I’d have more trials and less tribulations. I’d work more and worry less. I’d accept more risk, exert more effort, experience more failure, and enjoy more success.

If I said yes to everything, I’d explore opportunity more and fear calamity less. I’d champion challenges. I’d take advantage rather than feel disadvantaged. I’d protect my ego less and open my heart more.

If I said yes to everything, I’d love more and with more vigor than ever before. I’d be less reserved, avoidant and constrained. Life would be beautiful and bountiful not ugly and empty. Rather than reliving the past or predicting the future, I’d find this moment more than enough in which to live.

If I said yes to everything, I’d demonstrate faith rather than fear. I’d trust beyond myself and allow higher power a space within. Instead of no, never and can’t, I’d open to yes, always and can.

If I said yes to everything,
I’d know happiness,
develop serenity,
and find peace.

If I said yes to everything…

No comments:



.