Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Good moments

Today is a gorgeous spring day. I'm spending the day one moment at a time. I didn't try to get up early to run. Rather, I allowed myself to sleep in. I didn't rush through my morning. Rather, I allowed the coffee to be slowly taken in. I attended one of my favorite, funny, friendly AA meetings. Then, taking advantage of the caffeine, warmth and sun, I went for my long run.

Fourteen miles today, that was my quest. I did that, too, one step at a time. Although I'd be a liar if I said it was easy. I really pooped out around 12.5 miles, but I finished, nonetheless. Ninety moments of napping followed the run. I love napping. I especially love napping after a long, successful run.

Now, I'm spending moments with my friend Bill. While bonking at 12.5 miles I envisioned grilled burgers with all the fixins. Fortunately, Bill is always happy to utilize his grill. I supplied the burger and buns, Bill--the former chef--supplied the grill and skill. Needless to say, I'm full. I'm having moments of fullness!

I made a decision to live in the moment today, to stay present, in hopes of quieting this latest bout of fatigue and noise. So far, so good. My brain's been quieter and my energy has flowed. It was a good decision. I've been present and enjoyed the moments of this day.

1 comment:

Emma said...

Hi Etta,
What a gorgeous sounding day! Great suggestion, to live in the moment, and to stay present. Not so easy, but a course I will attempt to follow this week. The mind can so easily fly back into the past, or forward to worry about the future. I am aware that I am often anywhere but in the here and now!!
Em



.