Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, November 27, 2009

Already anxious to run

I hope you all had a very pleasant, comfortable, and gratitude filled Thanksgiving. I worked part of the day, watched football and went for a walk with Puck. In the early evening, I had dinner with some sober friends. I said a prayer for those who spent the holiday alone. I was grateful to be sober and to be surrounded by people for whom I care and who care about me.

Puck and I just got in from another walk tonight. It was beautiful out. Many homes were lit up for Christmas. It was so nice and so serene, I had a very difficult time continuing to walk. I really wanted to run! Then I stepped off a curb and pain shot through my left lower leg. That was a good reminder of what I was trying to accomplish by resting--no more pain! But I really, really wanted to run!

Nothing but walking for me yesterday and today, as the pool was closed. I'll be back splashing around tomorrow. Get this! I actually swam 2 miles on Wednesday! Yup, 2 miles! I couldn't believe it! I set out to swim for an hour, but at an hour I was already over 1.5 miles (I swam the first half mile with flippers) so I decided to keep going. Surprisingly enough I finished fairly easily. Not sure what got into me, but that was quite a little achievement for me! Remember, when I started 1.5 years ago, I couldn't even swim one lap without stopping and gasping for breath. Swimming is slightly less annoying now that I can do it, but I'd still rather be running down the road!

Here's hoping my leg heals quickly...

No comments:



.