Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Back on the road

I returned to running today, and boy am I paying for my time off! I ran 12.1 miles. I planned to run 15, but my calves wouldn't allow it. Puck seemed no worse for the layoff. It's so fun for me to watch him run. He appears to be smiling the whole time! Anyway, as I was saying, my calves tied up into knots and wouldn't let go. I'm still paying the price right now--12 hours later! Ouch.

I wish I could have gotten out the door earlier this week. Despite my physical discomfort, I already feel better mentally. My mood seems lighter, and I have more energy. There was certainly a sense of community out on the road this morning. It seemed everyone in town was out running. I like feeling part of the running community. When I'm sitting at home, that's another thing I lose--community. It was great being out there with the masses again.

I wanted to run long today because I'm contemplating another marathon in December. I think I really need that goal in front of me right now. Besides, I ran a marathon in October for fun, and I still ran well in Richmond 4 weeks later. Why not do it again? I'll see how my legs feel tomorrow. I may need to reconsider my plan if my calves don't cooperate. I'll let you know...

No comments:



.