Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, November 30, 2009

Last day of the month thoughts

Wow. It's the end of November already. Kind of a big month for me. Had that little marathon deal a few weeks ago. That turned out okay, I guess. Ha! Briefly had a plan to run another one next month, but now trying to cope with not running while I heal from injury. I think the rest and cross-training are helping my leg.

Yesterday I lifted weights and spent 66 minutes on the elliptical. God bless those of you who do those machines on a regular basis! I don't know how you do it! I thought swimming was boring! Even with a TV right in front of my face, I can't stand doing the same thing in the same place over and over again. But I did it. Like I said, I'm trying to cope with not running. I'll be back in the pool tomorrow.

Puck's trying to cope with me not running, too. He's not any happier with our 30 minute walks than I am. Plus he's got all sorts of excess energy. I can't sit still for one minute without him bringing me one of his toys. He's used to 20-40 miles a week, too. Half hour walks are a pretty significant drop in activity. Hopefully, he won't have to wait much longer to run with mom again.

On another totally unrelated note, I'm stressed about having to confront one of my assistants at work. She's been making some questionable treatment decisions lately. Unfortunately, she's also very defensive. So rather than allowing for a learning experience, which is what I'd prefer, she will likely defend her decisions to the bitter end and fail to hear any constructive feedback. I'm afraid it's going to be a totally useless and unpleasant interaction. It's too bad.

Here's hoping December brings healing, happiness, and joy for one and all.

1 comment:

Quinn said...

Hi, I hope your injury heals up soon. I used to run an awful lot until my knee injury which plagues us runners a lot!
It's lovely that you have a dog to run with you, I have a cat that acts like a dog if that counts.

From your boredom of the elliptical I guess you run outside a lot more often. Winter is a really nice season to run.

Good luck with your recovery,

Quinn



.