Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

More swimming for me

Well after my whining yesterday (see last post) I did get out the door and run. Rather than a speed workout of 10 miles, I set my sights on an easy 2 miles. I made it 4.5 miles. Then I went back to bed for an hour before my AA meeting, which I followed with 25 minutes of weight lifting. Thankfully, it wasn't a totally useless day.

This morning brings new revelations as a result of yesterday's short run. My left calf is not healed. I don't know why I expected it would be. With the exception of the week after the marathon, I never really let it rest. It hurt for the first couple of miles yesterday, but I was encouraged when the pain subsided. Unfortunately, this morning it is worse. I have pain in my calf and shin. Tendinitis. I need to take some time away from the running, I guess. That means I'll be back in the pool today.

It also means I will have to change my upcoming goals. I had hoped to run another marathon in each of the next two months. I think a December marathon is definitely out of the question now. I will plan to run in Clearwater, Florida in January instead. I will lose some running fitness between now and then, which is exactly what I didn't want to happen, but I suppose I should listen to my yelping leg. I'm looking forward to the day when I can cruise along pain free again.

No comments:



.