Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

NO Boston for me...

The 2010 Boston Marathon is closed. The 2010 Boston Marathon has reached its field limit of 25,000 runners, and there is no way to sign up for the race anymore. There is no waiting list. There is no entry...period. So there will be no Boston Marathon in 2010 for me.

Talk about a major disappointment... I'm so glad I didn't know this before my race. That would have made it very difficult to keep going when I felt bad. My qualifying time is good for 18 months, so I will sign up for the 2011 Boston Marathon, but a lot can happen in 1.5 years. After working so hard for this one singular goal, I'm still dumbfounded that I won't be able to participate in the culminating event. Dumbfounded and sad...

Oh, and did I mention it officially closed on November 13th--one day before the Richmond Marathon?

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I have nothing wise to say, but oh wow, wow, wow, that sucks. That just sucks.

I will be making my first BQ attempt this Spring, along with a teammate making her 4th (!), but realize a cliche like "Take pride in your accomplishment, even if the glory must be delayed" would likely do nothing to soothe.

Do you have some wood to be chopped? A fence to tear down? A mean neighbor to scream at? Ugh.

etta said...

Great comment, Sharon! Thanks!



.