Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Testing the leg

I know. I know. I said I wasn't going to run on my injured leg before the marathon this Saturday. But it was such a gorgeous, warm, sunny day again today, I couldn't stand the thought of swimming inside! So I tested my leg.

I had another reason to get out and test my leg. I was feeling really heavy. I needed some time on my feet to build confidence for the weekend. I ran 5.1 miles, including 4x400 at 5K pace. I had discomfort with every step, but it was a tightness in my calf rather than the sharp pain I had last week. The swimming, biking and rest did make a difference, I think.

As I hoped, running fast felt good. I worked out some cobwebs. I'm feeling lighter and more confident now. I'm also feeling a bit more nervous. Hard to believe the marathon is only a few days away. It's frustrating to be injured after excellent training for all but the last two of these past 18 weeks. But it is what it is. That's what makes the marathon special. If it was easy, everyone would run one! Hopefully, I'll find the comfort and speed I need on marathon day.

No comments:



.