Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, November 13, 2009

Waiting out the storm

After a very long day of travel yesterday, I finally arrived into a very wet, windy, and cold Richmond, Virginia, last night. The recent hurricane deposited days of rain right over the top of the East Coast. As I awaited the Holiday Inn shuttle, I began an inventory of my suitcase. Not nearly enough cold weather gear in there! After all, the last time I checked the weather, it said it was going to be up to 69 degrees on Saturday! Damn!

The Holiday Inn shuttle, which I had arranged literally hours earlier, did not show up. That should have been my first clue. I arrived at a hotel which looked nice on the surface, but the place was dirty and broken beneath. Besides the lack of promised amenities--like a refrigerator and microwave--there was a dirty rag hanging over my shower rod, my heater was busted, the card key worked only 50% of the time, and the place was woefully understaffed. I spent the night, but today I'm transferring to a Comfort Inn down the street. I will certainly think twice before staying at another Holiday Inn.

So it's been a rough start to my trip. They say the rain is going to stop today. God, I hope so! It looks like it may be just warm enough for my attire, but I will be looking for some clothing deals at today's expo. I'm hoping to get checked into my new digs early, get quickly through the expo, go for a short run, and then spend the rest of the day relaxing. I need to get back into the mental groove of marathon prep and put these recent stresses behind me. Hopefully, things will get smoother from here on out. The gun goes off at 8:00 AM eastern time tomorrow morning!

No comments:



.