Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, July 26, 2010

Busy helps

I don't know about you, but sometimes being busy helps me distract from my current mood woes. I guess I'm getting better because I had enough energy to be busy at work today. My co-worker is on vacation this week, so I've got double the patient load. Whew... I was worried about how things would go, as my energy has been severely lacking, but I was able to put it together today. I saw all my patients, got all my paperwork done, and finished in a reasonable time. I ended up in bed when I got home--even though I really wanted to stay up--and slept for 1.5 hours. But I guess I needed that.

I think I'm doing a little better again today. I'm less overwhelmed, frustrated, and irritable. Obviously my energy is a bit better, and I'm functioning more efficiently, too. My dishes are actually washed! I hope this trend continues. The darkness was so, so dark this time. Here's hoping for more light...

"Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy." --Dale Carnegie

5 comments:

NOS said...

I'm glad things are improving!

NOS

Maggie Beth said...

Part of "surviving and thriving" through all this "STUFF" that we go through is knowing (AND LISTENING!!) to your body!

Sounds like you are listening.... Glad the clouds are lifting - even if only a little, that is still a little.

I am continuing to hold good, peace-filled and HAPPY thoughts for you Etta!

Maggie B.

The Depressed Reader said...

Hi Etta,
I am glad to hear that you are feeling better and things are starting to pick up, if ever so slowly.

Thank you also for posting the Dale Carnegie quote. It is so true. Action leads to action. Inaction leads to inaction. And one way or another, we are built for action.

Here's to taking action as best we can, one day at a time.

Divas said...

I hope you are enjoying your new job nevertheless! Keep your back straight and your head up! =) (That's what I tell a lot of people in my physical therapy office.)
=)

Aaron said...

I'm glad you are feeling better!

You are doing so much for people by blogging about your depression. One of the most difficult things to do is talk openly about mental illness. But it is also one of the most important, because mental illness is so misunderstood.

That’s why I Am 1 in a Million (http://www.iam1inamillion.net) – a coming-out movement for people with depression and other mental illnesses – would like to name you a Hero! Participants join the movement anonymously, and their identities are only revealed after membership has reached 1,000,000 members – one million people will reveal that they have mental illnesses at the same time. You are a campaign Hero because you have already taken the step of coming out, making it easier for others.

The purposes of the campaign are to dispel common myths about people with mental illnesses, to create a powerful community that can stand up to discrimination and harassment, and to help people feel comfortable enough to get treatment. About 30 million people in the US with mental disorders do not receive treatment, and one of the main reasons is that they are too afraid or embarrassed to ask. Sometimes, the lack of treatment results in a suicide that could have been prevented. Showing people that it’s OK to talk about depression and get treatment will save lives.

Thank you, and keep fighting!

----No one can stop discrimination against people with mental illness. But a million of us can.



.