Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, October 18, 2010

I'm in.

Today was the first day of registration for the Boston Marathon, which is April 18, 2011. Registration opened at 8:00AM. I was up at six! Unfortunately, 20,000 other people were awake, too, because the system was apparently overloaded for several hours. It took me about 20 tries, but at 1:30 this afternoon, I finally got signed up. I'm in! No missed Boston this year! Whew! What a relief!

Now I can forget about Boston until sometime this winter when training will begin anew. As for my current training, it's going well. I've got a fairly difficult speed workout tomorrow, 12 x 400 meters, which I'm already thinking about. But I love this three day a week training plan I'm doing. None of my miles are junk. Every run is challenging. Plus, I have four days with which I can swim, bike and/or lift weights. So far it's working great! I think I'm in pretty good shape.

My race this weekend, I guess, will be my conditioning test. I really have no idea what to expect. At the same time, I don't really want to race it all out. I have another race the following weekend, and I don't want to take too much away from my marathon training. But who am I kidding? I'll probably run my little brains out! At least I'm predictable.

You can have everything in life that you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want. --Zig Ziglar

No comments:



.