Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, December 11, 2010

A blizzard!

We're having a beautiful blizzard today! The snow is fluffy and deep. It's a perfect day to hunker down in pajamas, sip some warm cocoa, and then take a long nap, which is what I plan to do as soon as I finish my laundry. Unfortunately, I guess this beautiful snow is to be followed by near record low temperatures. I'm not so fond of those.

I had intended to do my long run outside this morning, but the depth of the snow meant I couldn't keep a decent pace. So I headed to the gym and galloped on the treadmill for 90+ minutes. Yuck. My effort always feels greater when I run on the treadmill. And my legs were tired today. I'm sure I'm still feeling the effects of the marathon.

I'm still glowing from the marathon, too. I'm going to hang onto that glow for as long as it will carry me. Why not, right? I'm glowing so brightly I can't wait to do it again! Austin can't get here soon enough. I just hope I can do most of my training outside.

Life is running along quite smoothly, and I like that. Days like these make depression feel like a distant memory. I like that, too. It's funny, because I've been discussing my depression a lot lately. Whether it's been reconnecting with old friends, meeting new people, or just ending up in discussions about mental illness, my depression has been a hot topic. I find it hard to impress upon people how debilitating depression is when I'm feeling so well, but I'll take that dilemma over feeling like crap any day of the week! Wouldn't you?

He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.--Epictetus

No comments:



.