Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, December 3, 2010

In Dallas

After an uneventful flight, I arrived in Dallas. I'd never been to Texas before. So far it looks a lot like Minnesota except it's sunny and 70 degrees! It was below 10 degrees when I left home this morning. The sun and warmth feels really good. Thankfully, it won't be this sunny and warm on Sunday, though. The forecast calls for lows in the 30's and a high of 55 degrees. Perfect!

After I pick up my number at the expo tomorrow morning, I'm hoping to see the Historic West End. It's only a couple of miles from where I'm staying. The area includes the spot where JFK was assassinated. I'd like to see more than that, but staying off my feet is more important.

I actually wish the race was tomorrow. I'm anxious to get going. This will be the largest marathon I've ever run. I think there are something like 22,000 runners! Yikes! It will be interesting to be among that many moving people. I'll let you know what happens. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Maggie Beth said...

Texas!!! Alright you are getting closer to "The" South! (SMILE) How exciting!!

I know the weather is awesome and I am certain the people are too!! I hope you have an amazing time - and an amazing run! Remember -- relax, take in the moment, and E N J O Y!! (then run your heart out!)

Regardless of what the clock says when you cross the finish line I am amazingly inspired and proud of you!!!! ~ Maggie!!!

(((I just re-read my post - apparently I am very "AMAZED" today!!))

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR MARATHON! RUN IT, KICK IT, ROCK IT OUT! JEALOUS OF THE WARM WEATHER YOUR GETTING EVEN FOR A SHORT TRIP.. BRING SOME HOME!! :) SM

Anonymous said...

As a longtime lurker on your blog, I just wanted to say good luck! Hope you had a chance to visit the book depot/museum.



.