Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

I started the New Year right--getting my 5 year medallion at my home meeting. I'm so grateful to be sober today, especially today! No hangover, no regrets, no worries... That's pretty remarkable considering it's New Years Day. The scenario was likely quite different five years ago. I hope you all had a safe, happy, and joyous New Year! Here's hoping 2011 brings more joy than sorrow for all of us.

It's a below freezing, windy day here. I mention that because I had a 13 mile long run scheduled, and I did it! I just couldn't face the treadmill for 13 miles, so I bundled up and headed outside. It was doubly-difficult because we had a small ice storm last night, so none of the usual paths were available to me. I ended up running my entire run in about a 16-20 square block area. Up and down my neighborhood streets I went. I'm sure I was quite a sight, all bundled up with frosty, frozen eye lashes running back and forth in front of the neighborhood homes. It was quite the run, but I got it done.

Now I'm clean, dry and bundled in my sweats. My recliner is calling, and football is on the agenda. I have no special plans for the day, and tomorrow I'm back to work. I've maintained my stable mood despite the holidays, and despite spending most of it alone. Perhaps that's my Christmas miracle this year. I'm grateful for it.

Now it's on to January, which can be quite a challenging month around here. It's long, dark and cold. I'll have to take it one day at a time and remember that it, too, will eventually pass. Happy New Year, everyone!

4 comments:

klahanie said...

Kind greetings,
And may the profound freedom of sobriety, continue to inspire you to embrace a more peaceful and positive future.
A New Year, a new decade, a new hope.
With respect and empathy, Gary.

AdmGln said...

Happy New Year!

Maggie Beth said...

Etta, I pray only a few things for you this year - happiness, joy, laughter, peace and PROSPERITY!!! Be blessed my Friend in Blogland! (HUGS!!) ~ Maggie Beth!!

Divas said...

CONGRATS on your HUGE accomplishment! Merry 2011!



.