Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

What I heard...

I had an appointment today. This is what I heard.

a. This is normal.
b. You wanted special treatment.
c. You aren't working hard enough.
d. You aren't socializing enough.
e. You aren't doing enough.
f. You aren't pushing yourself enough.
g. You aren't using your skills.
h. You should be doing more.

Ouch.
It may not be what was meant, but that's what I heard.

6 comments:

Another Diamond Day said...

I have been following your blog for a while now and never realised I stopped by and say "hi"!

I hope you will find a place at the hospital soon! Take care!x

Ann Hale said...

Wow, that burns. Some of it might have been what they meant, and some of it might not have been. It's so hard to not take certain statements and automatically twist them into attacks on ourselves.

I'm sure that even if they did mean some of those things, they said them with love and/or concern. Sometimes we have to hear the truth before we can move on (and it really, really sucks.)

Hang in there.

Kinza said...

An appointment with whom? You heard all that from whom?
Hang on! Accept the feeling you have now, but don't forget to take care of yourself!

Imperfectly Healing said...

I am just stopping in to say Hi and I hope things get better for you quickly.

Linda said...

I just discovered your blog--it is interesting, intelligent, and like many of us--sad.
Mental health professionals can be difficult and frustrating, but what else do we have. Isn't it crazy there are no beds! That is so totally messed up and I am sorry this is happening for you, and I hope things get much better for you--real soon.
Take care,
Linda

AmbyLand said...

What the hell. That sucks donkey balls. I am sorry someone would say that to you.
amber



.