Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, May 8, 2011

10 miles

I ran this morning! It's only the fourth time I've run since The Boston Marathon, and I could still feel Boston in my legs on those pesky downhills! I wanted to go 10 miles, as I need to begin training for Grandma's Marathon in June, and I made it 10.2 miles at a nice, quick pace. It was one of those feel-good runs. The weather was perfect, and I felt great. It was sure nice to be back out on the road.

I ran a hilly route. I guess I learned my lesson in Boston. I need to train more on the hills. Grandma's is a bit hilly. Like many marathons, there is a long, heartbreak hill right around mile 21. I've had to walk at least part of that hill the past couple of times I've run Grandma's. This year I'd like to conquer it in stride.

I'd like to have conquered this depression episode in stride as well, but it's still hanging onto me. I will have three more ECT treatments this week to try to shake it loose. I do feel better today. Yesterday was a long one, even though I began my day with my AA meeting, which was really nice. Apparently that meeting wore me out, because I slept for several hours once I returned. Obviously, I've got more energy today. Maybe depression's grip is loosening just a bit.

10 comments:

Kindred Spirit said...

I love reading about your running. My doctor strongly advised that I start exercising regularly to help my fight against depression. Between my lack of energy and laziness it is difficult for me, but I'm working hard at it. Your strength inspires me! Thanks :)

MDK said...

Hi Etta,

I'm glad to ascertain that you are feeling much better. Have fun, running.

Kinza said...

Sounds gooood! I am so glad that you had a good run - that is so precious.

You will conquer the depression too, you will, be patient.

If nothing else works for me, I always enjoy running, sleeping and eating - and so far this helps me to hang on.
Thinking of you!

Jamie said...

The run sounds great! I'm glad you were able to get out. I need to get out and do that soon too :-)

Cadan Henry said...

so great that you enjoy running, exercising. i think that's half the battle.

C

Kitty said...

you are amazing! You make me wish I could run, among other things, and that is no small feat!

Anonymous said...

"The task ahead of you is never greater than the strength within you." - Unknown

and one I can do from internet afar...

"We can't all be heroes because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." - Will Rogers

Maggie Beth said...

Hi Etta ~ Yesterday monrning I heard a local radio station interview a man who started a running organization called - Team 413. This man was a 'casual' runner - until a ping pong table flew off a truck - hit him while running and paralyzed him! YES! You heard me right!

Running. Flying Ping Pong Table. Paralyzed.

I won't spoil the ending - you will have to look him up yourself (WINK!) This man has a mighty testimony - and the whole time he spoke I kept thinking, "I wish Etta could hear this!" and thanks to the amazing world we live in! You can!!

Here is the run he was speaking about on the radio....

http://chrisagillespie-team413.blogspot.com/2010/11/come-run-with-me.html


you may notice something as soon as you click on the link....He is NOT in a wheelchair! (WINK!)

....the one thing that Chris said that stuck with me was this, "All runners run because they are running from something - or running to something." You are doing both my friend.....Keep going and don't look back...MUCH HUGS!!! and continued prayers...

and Jer. 4:13 to you Etta.....

DONNA said...

Hi, I recently came across your blog and have enjoyed reading your posts. i am glad that you are posting these things. I know it helps you as well as others like myself.

I recently started a blog on mental illness myself. If you are interested here is the address:

http://lifeofmentalillness.blogspot.com/

Maggie Beth said...

Simply lettin you know I checked on you today......



.