Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A unique position

As you may or may not know, I am currently on medical leave from my current position as a home health physical therapist. I love working in home health. I love the flexibility, the motivated patients, the control over my schedule. Unfortunately, I work in a start-up office, which carries with it the stress of fluctuating hours and patient volumes. As you may remember, in the span of two weeks earlier this year, I went from not having enough patients to sustain my employment to having more patients than two therapists could handle. The constant change and variability are not good for my mental health. My doctor, social worker, and friends all think I need to get something more stable in order to keep my mental health stable. I agree.

Over the past couple of months, I've checked out some other opportunities as they've come available. Interestingly, both of the opportunities I've checked into have come calling this week. Both potential positions are in nursing homes. Nursing home work is not my favorite, but it's not the worst place to work either. One nursing home is here in town, the other is in a small town about 20 minutes from here. I would be the only therapist, with one assistant, at each facility. Each position is part time, similar to the schedule I currently work. After some negotiating, one facility agreed to match my current salary, the other nearly matched it. And now I have a dilemma. I have two viable job offers, and I can't figure out which one to take!

I know I am in a unique position. It's nice to be wanted. But I'm stuck as far as which one is the better option! Both potential jobs would simplify my life. I would be joining long-term, stable rehab staff at either facility. One is close to home, the other a little further away. Neither is perfect. Perfect would be too easy! Not that I'm complaining! I'm not! This is just so strange! I have a job I like, which I don't necessarily want or need to leave, but simplifying my life would be advantageous. And I have two potential employers banging on my door! I don't know what to do.

I don't know what I will do. I've been honest with all involved, although my current employer does not yet know I am likely going to quit. That's on tomorrow's agenda. I've told the two potential employers I need at least 24 hours to weigh my options before I make a decision. I'm on my way to dinner with friends. They've promised to help me with the pros and cons list. Hopefully, that's all it will take. I just don't want to make the wrong decision, but which one is "wrong?" Which one is right? I don't know. I don't know.

5 comments:

Kinza said...

Probably none option is wrong, otherwise you would feel it in your guts...
Congratulation!

KAH said...

Friends are good at helping us sort through life-altering events. As a fellow Minnesotan, I might suggest you consider how sucky it is driving in a slippery, blustery Minnesota winter. Just a thought. One of which I am sure you've considered. Good luck and congratulations.

Maggie Beth said...

Etta I am SSOO excited for you! What a wonderful "problem" to have.

HOWEVER! There is no "wrong" choice ~ simply a "different" choice. You will do well at either place. I believe (even without meeting you personally) that your personality would lend well to a nursing home. And by listening to their wisdom I bet you end up getting far more from these patients than you are able to give.

The majority of your patients are from the Greatest Generation. They were called that for a reason...Discover some really cool questions that may open wonderful conversations ~ You are being handed a gift....on so many levels.

My precious grandmother passed away at 89. Her mind was totally intact. She used to tell me two things (1) when you get old no one touches you anymore (hugs, pats on the back, arm, etc.) and (2) People assume you have the mind of a kindergartener! Her biggest frustration was no one would discuss current events with her. You have a great opportunity. Etta ~ I am so looking forward to your future! But most excited about your NOW!!!

Saracide said...

Congrats on the job offers! I have been looking for a job to simplify my life as well (going from a CNA at a regional hospital on a crazy busy floor to a medical transcriptionist at home) and so far, my search has resulted in nothing... haha. It definitely is good to feel wanted! Although I understand, I hate the change. I don't really want to quit my job, I just can't mentally, and lately physically, handle it (sprained my ACL bleh).
Good luck going forward! ♥

Anonymous said...

I would take the one that is closer to home.

Although its only 20 mins away, when you just need to be home straight away 20 mins is too long.

Is it possible if you took the one closer to you, can you run to work??

Go with the gut feel though, do you know anyone at either place you could speak to to ask how they like it??

Best of luck

Your reader in Melbourne Australia :)



.