Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

More joy...

I detailed the joy of owning a home in my last post. As the outside temps and humidity increased, my air conditioning decreased. Today, my house is slightly cooler, but that's because the Amazonian temperatures and humidity have finally broken. My poor, old air conditioner can now keep up. And that's basically what I found out from the air conditioner repairman. My air conditioner is old and needs to be replaced. Ugh...

Replacing a central air conditioner, it turns out, is quite an expensive proposition. I've only gotten one quote so far, $2700, but I will be getting more. I'm also in the process of trying to figure out how to cover the cost. I keep telling myself it will all work out. And it will. I just don't know how yet.

In other news, my running is going well. This is a big week. I completed my speed workout on Tuesday, 4 x 1 mile, and an 8 mile tempo run today. Both were tough, but doable. On Saturday I'm praying for cool weather because I'll be outside for 3 hours running my 20 miles. I'm not necessarily looking forward to the 20 miler, but I'm not dreading it either. That's a good sign. I think it will be a good run.

My next marathon is only 5 weeks away now. I'm running The Eisenbahn Marathon in Wisconsin. It's a smaller race, run primarily on a bike path, between two small towns. I'm looking forward to it. It will be my 7th marathon in 9 months. I never thought I'd do this many marathons in such a short span of time, but it's been fun, and I think it's helped my mental health.

It's important, I think, for all of us to find something outside our heads on which to focus. Having a chronic illness is tough enough without spending an inordinate amount of time fixated on it. For me that focus is running. I wonder what it is for you? I encourage all of my readers to find something which brings joy. Despite our illnesses, joy is possible. Look for it.

1 comment:

Genesis said...

Wow running a marathon is on my things to do list. Do you run/train with a group or alone? I'm glad you found a way to keep your mind occupied.I have a list of things that I would like to do that will make me happy. I went to Alaska last year something I longed for 12 years. My goal is to complete everything on my list and continue to add more ideas to it. Good for you!!



.