Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A good day

I had an interesting day. It was a busy day and a good day. It started with a meeting with my therapist. I talked about I've been writing about lately, my mistrust of the future, financial stress, and worry about work. As usual, my therapist calmed my fears and supported me.

After that meeting, I had the wonderful opportunity to speak about my journey with depression to a class of Health and Human Services students. A friend of mine is the instructor, and I've spoken for her several times. After telling my story, the students and I had a great discussion. I'm grateful to all the students for their interest and thoughtful questions. Speaking, educating others, is empowering for me, so I left there feeling worn out but good.

Once home, I wanted to take a nap, but I pushed myself out the door for my run instead. I was scheduled for a speed workout, 3 by 1 mile, which is exactly what I did. I have some tendonitis in my left ankle that really bothered me, but I hit my pace nonetheless.

This is where my day got really interesting. On my way home, literally half a block from my front door, I ran into an intersection full of money! That's right, I said money, silver money all over the place!


I spent about 15 minutes in the middle of the intersection, dodging a few cars and a mail truck, picking up $32.81! I figure I should go play the lottery! Since I ran through the intersection on my way out for my run, these coins were all deposited within the 51 minutes in which I was running. Ironically, it was just two years ago that I picked up over 300 pennies in this same intersection! Weird. But I'm not complaining! I can't wait to go running on Thursday!

After napping, I ended my day with a stimulating AA meeting. Now I'm watching the NCAA Women's Basketball Championship, and then I'll be off to bed. I hope tomorrow is just as good and interesting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Etta,

Hope ur running is going well this week without any additional injuries (as compared to the last couple of weeks). Only a few more days until ur marathon. Man you can do a full taper now and now even feel guilty about not running. Best wishes!

Blackdays said...

Pennies from heaven, the angels are watching you :-) x



.