Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cold, wet, gray and slow

It's a very gray, wet, cold day here. I spent the morning outside in the cold, gray, windy, rainy weather running on some hilly country roads. It wasn't pleasant. But at the end of the run we all took part in a pancake feed. That was pleasant. It was a fundraiser for juvenile diabetes. One of the local runners has a child with diabetes. I love pancakes, but hours later I'm still warming up from the soaking, cold run.

My mood matches the weather today. Physically and mentally I'm not feeling so hot. It's been a low energy week for me. I think the toxicity of my work environment is really sucking the life out of me. It takes so much mental fortitude to do my job in that environment. It's exhausting. The urgency to get out of there is ever-present. Until then, I'm doing my best to stay positive, or at least neutral, and I'm doing my job.

The low energy doesn't feel good. I have lots to do around my house. I'm getting none of it done. I can't even motivate to clean myself up, never mind my house! I have to work tomorrow, so the time to get the laundry, vacuuming, dusting, and cleaning done is now. Bummer. That list is overwhelming. I think I'll be happy with finishing off one or two of the items on the list. Now, it's time for a shower. Perhaps that will get me started.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Sometimes, all I get done is a shower and the laundry...and I feel much better than if I had tried to accomplish everything else (and not been as successful).

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

You accomplished a lot with the run and the fundraiser breakfast!

Sometimes it helps me to NOT try to do everything on my needs-to-be-done list. Not everything has to be done today.

Patty Taylor said...

I sometimes hire someone to help with the housework when my energy level is low due to my mood. The last time it happened, I paid my unemployed brother $20 for about an hour and a half and he got all my dishes done and the laundry moved along. It was worth every penny. Perhaps there is a high school or college student nearby who could help?



.