Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Got it and Took it

The potential new job is now my job. It took a couple of days to negotiate my salary package, but in the end we got it worked out. I am taking a bit of a pay cut to take this position, but as my readers pointed out, the old job was going nowhere whereas the new job has tons of potential upside. And like everything else in life, the new job will be as temporary as I choose it to be.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hesitant to take the new position. I was. Fear almost got the best of me. But again, your comments made a difference. Several of you talked about unhappily taking the easy way out, rather than facing your fear. Staying in my current position would have been the easy way out. I'm already unhappy and stressed there, so I had to face my fear. Not doing so wouldn't have made any sense.

Now it's time to really hit the books and bone up on my outpatient skills. Doing so will certainly help decrease my discomfort and fear. Currently, I'm afraid of the reaction I'll get when I give my owner my resignation notice on Monday. I'm not expecting it to be a pleasant experience. I'm sure I'll at least receive a hefty guilt trip. But that's his problem, not mine. I'm giving three weeks notice. I'll begin my new position on June 4th. Thank you all for your help as I traveled through this decision making process.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

"...unhappily taking the easy way out, rather than facing your fear."

I am too familiar with that, but it just leads to more and more unhappiness. I'm glad you took the new job. I bet it has wonderful things in store for you.

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Admire you for facing your fears and trying something new!
Nancy

Kitty said...

Congratulations and good luck! Maybe this job will turn out to be amazing, and maybe it won't, but at least you aren't stuck in an uncomfortable, toxic work environment anymore.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Sorry I'm late in reading this and commenting! Congratulations on the new job! Maybe you'll find hitting the books kind of fun--a new challenge.

I wouldn't worry about the current employer's reaction. You're right--that's his problem. All you can control is what you need to do for yourself. Three weeks notice is very generous.



.