Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Rolling along

Go figure. Since I announced I was leaving my current job, the previously crabby, self-absorbed, negative management team has been nothing but kind and cooperative. In fact, yesterday, the owner even complimented me on my evaluation skills and thorough documentation. He's never said a kind word about my performance in the past! He's never said a negative word either. I had no idea he was paying any attention whatsoever. It's all very weird. I'll still be happy to get out of there, but it does make me question why now? I didn't think they had it in them to be kind or cooperative. At least their new found behavior will make my last two weeks there slightly more tolerable.

Perhaps not coincidentally, my mood has been good. This is in spite of lowering one of my meds a couple weeks ago, and despite lots of new activity in my life. I do have a lot going on right now - dating, a new job, an upcoming marathon. I'm happy to be handling the extra stress, albeit good stress, without a major dip. Life is rolling right along, and I'm happy to be on the ride.

I'm looking forward to my marathon on Sunday. I ran an easy 4 miles today. My normal route took me onto part of the marathon course. Miles 22 and 23 were already marked on the path. I took the opportunity to visualize and mentally rehearse feeling good during those miles. It was pretty cool. I hope I feel on Sunday as good as I felt today when passing those mile markers.

Unfortunately, the weather forecast for Sunday is anything but cool. The last I looked, the projected temperature was 88 degrees with a 15 mile per hour south wind! It may be Boston all over again. I'm praying as hard as I can pray that the forecast will be incorrect. Please, God, not again! Like so many other things in this universe, weather is out of my control, but I'm going to keep praying anyway. Join me, won't you?

3 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'll add my prayer. Forecasts can change very quickly!

You sound like you are feeling good and have lots of good things going on in your life. I like how you visualized how you would feel during certain miles on the course.

tracy.rose@healthline.com said...

Hi Etta,

Healthline editors recently published the final list of their favorite depression blogs and Depression Marathon made the list. You can find the complete list at: http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/best-depression-blogs (in no particular order). We encourage you to share your status as one of the best blogs on the web with your friends, family, & followers.

We also created a set of badges you can easily embed on your site & anywhere else you see fit:

http://www.healthline.com/health/badges-depression-2

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Congrats & continue the great work!


Warm Regards,

Tracy

etta said...

Thank you, Tracy.Rose@healthline.com! I really appreciate the recognition.



.