Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, May 3, 2012

To learn or not to learn

After a nice, marathon-prep, easy run on Tuesday, I got my bike out for a group ride last night. It was my first ride of the season, and I've never ridden in a big group before. Remember, I'm supposed to be tapering for my Sunday marathon. I was hoping the group ride, also the first of the season, would be a shorter, easier one. It was fairly low on mileage, 20 miles, but it was hardly easy. We rode up and over several long, steep hills very early in the ride, which wiped out my quads. It was also very windy, as there was a storm blowing in. And because there was a storm blowing in, I rode fairly hard in order to beat it. When will I learn? I woke up today with dead legs! So much for tapering. I just hope I didn't do too much potential damage to Sunday's effort.

Speaking of learning, I found out a little more about my potential new job today. I interviewed this morning for another position in a different skilled nursing facility (nursing home). But I found out the position involves treating mostly outpatients of all ages and diagnoses. I haven't treated outpatients for ten years! That scares me.

Outpatient physical therapy requires many skills, most of which I haven't used for ten years. I'm not sure if I want to dust the rust off or not. I like my skilled nursing facility patients, and I thought that's what I was applying for in this case. In order to take this position, I'd have to get out the old textbooks and re-learn lots of long forgotten techniques. I'm not sure what to do if I should be offered the opportunity. I want this position to be a good fit.

I have to think about the fit over the next 24+ hours, as I'll find out more on Saturday. That's when the interviewer plans to call me back. I can barely stand staying where I am now, but I don't want to put myself in another stressful position either. There is something to be said for the devil I know vs. the devil I don't know. Any thoughts? I sure could use some assistance on this one.

2 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Perhaps you could get out a couple of the old textbooks, if you have them, and review and see if that sparks an interest or not. Sometimes just reminding ourselves of what we learned years ago helps us remember an earlier interest, or reminds us we are NOT interested in it.

Good luck either way!

Anonymous said...

Etta, I would say follow that voice, instinct whatever you call it. Life is too short to get into another unhappy situation. If you can do more research, talk to anyone that you trust to find out more about the staff, the work environment etc. Some people post things on social media sites about their jobs, if you're into that, it's a good resource. Best of luck. I've been there and am trying to work out my situation since I have a new awesome boss - fran



.