Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, July 27, 2012

End of the week report

I'm sitting here with a billion other people watching the opening ceremonies to the Summer Olympics in London. So far it's quite a good show. I love that they highlighted their National Healthcare System in this worldwide event. With the healthcare debate, usually unintelligent, accusatory, and partisan, in this country right now, I thought this highlight was quite admirable. And that's all I have to say about that.

I had a good week of working and running. I've been working extra hours, usually about four per day, on my typical days off. I work on-call for several other nursing homes in the area, so I have lots of opportunities to work more than my usual Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule. I'm really tired of living paycheck to paycheck, so I've been working afternoons on Tuesdays and Thursdays for a couple of weeks. I run in the mornings, try to run one or two errands, and then go to work. It's tiring, but so far I'm handling it okay.

Speaking of running, I had two difficult but successful runs this week. I ran my speed workout on the treadmill Tuesday. It was just too damn hot and humid to run outside. I ran 2 x 1200 meters followed by 4 x 800 meters. I really didn't think I was going to be able to hold the paces I was supposed to run, but I did. I felt really great when I was done. On Thursday, I ran a fast 5 mile tempo run. That was very difficult, and I felt very tired when I was done. Today I'm recovering for my second 20-miler tomorrow morning. I'm already up way past my bedtime! I'm planning to be on the road by 5:30 AM at the latest.

That being said, I should probably tape the rest of this ceremony and get to bed. Things are clicking along. I'm busy, but I'm holding it together thus far. I'm grateful for the ability, energy, and motivation to run, work, and live my life free of the black fog of depression today.

1 comment:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'm happy you're able to accomplish so much. You amaze mw with your athletic endeavors! I've been watching the Parade of Nations--so inspiring to see so many from around the world together for a common purpose.



.