Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Ray of Light

There is a ray of light peeking into my soul. With the help of my psychiatrist, I made it through the long Labor Day weekend. With the support of my social worker, I returned to work on Wednesday, and although I didn't think I'd be able to handle it, I did. I spent last evening with friends and noticed a bit of my humor coming back. Today I struggled but completed my 11 mile tempo run, actually made it to the grocery store and purchased my groceries, and again spent the evening with friends. My mood has lightened. My anger at this damn illness has softened. And tonight I'm feeling just a little bit better. I'm putting one foot in front of the other, and for the first time in a couple of weeks, I actually feel like I'm getting somewhere. I'm so grateful for that.

5 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

So glad for the ray of light! I hope it continues to grow.

Erica said...

One step at a time, Etta; you're getting there. I'm so happy to hear the light is coming back into your life!

jim said...

we are all supporting you Etta. Glad to hear you are better

Anonymous said...

Etta, you are amazing! I am so happy that you have found a little relief. It is so hard to keep reaching out and forcing yourself to interact, to try and inch forward, etc. when you feel so low. It is my biggest struggle when my mood is dark and my body feels like lead. Hang in there.
Nancy

dreambigrunner.com said...

Was actually thinking about you and wondered how you feel. Glad you are feeling a little better!



.