Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, October 29, 2012

Getting ready

My prayers go out to everyone on the East Coast of the United States. I hope everyone stays safe. I have been watching this developing monster storm with particular attention, as I will be in New York City, hopefully, in just a few days! So far it looks like things will be cleared up by this Friday, which is when I'm supposed to arrive. In fact, the extended forecast is for sun, sun, sun from Friday through marathon Sunday. Whether my plane will be able to land as scheduled I do not know, but if I can get there, the weather is looking like it may be okay.

I'm getting prepared to leave. My plan is to pack tomorrow, even though I don't fly out until Friday. I'm that excited, and I'm that worried I may forget something. I want to prepare early. Silly, I know, but I think it will help ease my mind a bit.

I'm not sure why I'm so anxious about this particular trip. It might be the size of this marathon, 47,000 runners, that's freaking me out. Maybe it's the gigantic marathon size combined with the gigantic city size. There are a lot of logistics which go into getting to the starting line of such a large event. For instance, just to get to the starting line, I have to take the subway, a ferry, and a bus! I will begin that process at 5:30 AM, even though I don't start running until 10:05 AM! It's a little overwhelming in very overwhelming surroundings! No wonder I'm anxious!

Hopefully, getting myself all set up tomorrow will calm me down. I'll be doing my final speed workout, a gentle 6 by 400 meters, when the sun comes up. That will probably settle me a bit, too. After that, I just have a few easy miles on Thursday before boarding my plane early Friday morning. As long as the weather clears, I should be ready to go. I pray the storm passes safely and quickly.

3 comments:

dreambigrunner.com said...

NYC got hit pretty hard, I hope you can make your way to the city and enjoy the NYC marathon!!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Good luck as you prepare to leave and as you go through the race!

Mopsa said...

I totally understand your anxiety (I would certainly be anxious too), and preparing ahead really helps.
Good luck with the preparations, traveling and marathon :)



.