Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Busy, busy

I'm finally sitting down after a quick walk with Puck and a long day at work. I don't have much to say or anything very interesting to report, I'm afraid. I've been busy working my new schedule and getting used to my new buildings and patients. I find I'm a little more tired during the week now, but napping, which I do almost daily, seems to take care of that. So far my running hasn't suffered from the increased hours, which I was worried about happening. Of course, I am tapering right now. I'm getting prepared for The Dallas Marathon, which is now less than two weeks away. I'm excited about that! And I'm still feeling good. I'm sure looking forward to the marathon is helping keep me on track. It's good for me to have goals. And that's all I have to say for now. I'm tired, and I'm hoping to go to bed early, so it's time for me to go. Good night!

1 comment:

mindetective said...

Hi Etta,
I've read your blog before and I just wanted to say thank you for putting words to the experience of depression. I've struggled with bouts since 13 (I'm 27 now) and I sometimes get lost and confused in wondering if I'm just inflicting a lot of unnecessary pain on myself, if what I'm experiencing is even real, and what the hell is going on. I have come to understand a lot more about the illness through experience, but it is very inspiring to read about your wisdom and self-acceptance in the face of depression. I'm a therapist now (haha I know) and I'm a huge advocate for mental health awareness and I guess I sometimes feel so wrapped up in the identity of depression. I feel like it defines me and I don't want it to, but it is how I've come to understand my life's passion and purpose. Sorry if this was rambling, but wanted to say hello.
-Katie



.