Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Cancelled

I wrote a post earlier here about my feelings about the NYC Marathon being cancelled, which it was yesterday afternoon. After just a couple comments, and after re-reading the post a few hours after I wrote it, I decided to remove it. It was self-centered. I apologize.

5 comments:

Lulu said...

oh no i was horrible, wasn't i? I am so sorry if my comment was published (not sure it was) and it was just far too critical of you personally. I am honestly just so emotionally drained after such a long and surreal week. I am angry at the mayor, at the nyrr, and at nature ~ all of which is not good for a recovering alcoholic with mood disorders. :-( I honestly hope you can enjoy some of your time here in new york. I love my home under the best and the worst circumstances and I honestly hope you can find a way to do the same.

Dan S said...

Why would you feel the need to apologize about that post?? I didn't think it was particularly self-centered at all! And even if it was self-centered, this is YOUR blog, hence it is perfectly acceptable for posts to be self-centered! Anyways, I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to run the marathon, especially since this was going to be a really special event for you. I do hope you get a chance to make to New York sometime soon. It really is an amazing place. Maybe you can use your flight credit and theatre credit(s) and treat yourself to a trip at a later date. Anyways, don't worry about the post and I hope you're having a good weekend. Dan

etta said...

MOHICAN,
I accidentally deleted your comment. I did read it! Thank you. I'm working off my Mom's I-Pad, and apparently my finger was too fat. I tried to hit publish but hit delete instead!
I heard about the marathon you mentioned this morning while out on my run in Central Park. Too late for me, but it was a great idea.
My run this morning was really cool. There must have been 10,000 runners in the park from all over the world running the last few miles of The NYC Marathon route. Before I knew it, I ran 12 miles!

Mohican said...

Good for you. You're never alone. There's also an alternative marathon taking place in Boston. Google "New York Marathon alternative"

Anonymous said...

So glad you are there...when I heard the marathon was canceled, I hoped you were already there and could still enjoy your trip. Glad you were able to run today with fellow runners! Never saw your other post, but this is your blog about your feelings at different, changing moments...no apologies necessary!
Nancy



.